The Assessor’s Office, under the general direction of the Atlantic County Board of Taxation and the State Director of Taxation, undertakes the assessing activities of the Township of Hamilton as prescribed by law.
- Responsible for establishing an assessed valuation for property in the Township as of October 1st of the prior year.
- Determines the taxability of each parcel, not the taxes. The tax rate is formulated by the County Tax Board from the State approved budgets of theCounty, the two school districts, and the Municipality.
- Processes building permits to determine the value for added assessments. If improvements were made to your property during the year you may receive an additional bill for this added value in October, due November 1st.
- Adds new ratable to the tax rolls.
- Maintains the current tax map for the Township along with property record cards for each property with the correct owner.
- Defends assessments upon appeal. You are notified of your current year’s assessment by postcard on or before February 1st. If you disagree with this value you must file an appeal by April 1st. Instructions are on the reverse side of this card.
- Reviews all applications for exemptions and deductions such as Veterans, Senior Citizen, Disabled Persons as well as farmland assessment applications. These applications are available from the Tax Assessor’s Office.